Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it


“I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.”

This is one of my favourite quotes from Clint Eastwood…right up there with “Go ahead punk, make my day.”

I love the letter to the Galations. I think it is a goldmine of funny bits. I think that the reason that it is so funny is that the Apostle Paul is absolutely at the end of his tether trying to establish his credibility as an apostle and sort out problems in the church.

The letter was written by Paul as he was incarcerated in Rome. He had planted the church in Galatia on his secondary missionary journey and was now frustrated that there were wrong Jewish-styled doctrines popping up. At the very end of Galations, you can get a sense of Pauls’ frustration…


“See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own
hand!”
[1]

Paul used an Amanuensis to assist him with his letter writing. In the first century as Pauls’ letters started being forged – often with misleading or false doctrines. It became his practice to effectively ‘hand-sign’ the end of the letter. In this case, Paul wrote the last paragraph in his own handwriting. (I have always had messy writing – I can relate to Paul)

I like the second last verse of the letter…Pauls’ own “Go ahead Punk, make my day.”


“Finally, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.” [2]
This word ‘marks’ is translated from the Greek word ‘Stigma’ [3] and translates more correctly as ‘Brand.’ There were two kinds of people in New Testament times who were branded; slaves and soldiers. Paul was either implying he was a soldier of Jesus, a slave of Jesus or indeed both.

Either way, I think he was serious….Don’t mess with me…I have tried being reasonable.


[1] Galatians 6:11 – New International Version
[2] Galatians 6:17 – New International Version
[3] Strongs Number 4742

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!