Monday, October 20, 2008

Live long and prosper...


My brother wrote last week on a Scriptural perspective on the current economic woes. I have wondered over the last week where this leaves the prosperity teaching (I refuse to call it the “prosperity doctrine”…..the word doctrine lends tacit legitimacy to it) that is so rife in the church today.

Does that fact that my superannuation balance is shrinking mean that God no longer loves me? Is there sin in my life? I own stocks that have dropped through the floor – what was God thinking? My Father….why have you forsaken me?

I am concerned that Scripture must be wrong……I have a couple of dynamic translations of passages that I think will help put things in perspective:



Each man should invest what he has been advised by his planner to invest, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful investor. (2 Cor 9:7)

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and with the optional leather trim (Luke 6:38)

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and go long in oil futures…..give the poor instructions on how to do the same, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." (Luke 18:22)

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to show orphans and widows how to maximise their investment returns and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:27)


I have been believing God for a S class Mercedes for so long……but I would settle now for a Lexus or even a nice little E class…….”My God shall supply all my ridiculous wishes according to His riches in glory.”

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lord
    Won't you buy me
    A Mer-cey-deez Benz...

    ... I'll get my coat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends all drive porsches....I must make ammends

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!