Monday, December 15, 2008

The need for speed




This is my first post in some time…..I broke my wrist in a cycling accident and have been forced by circumstance to commute by public transport.

This has given me time to contemplate transport in general and an interaction in the Bible that I find quite amusing.

Elijah travelled differently to me…..at various times he:

• Travelled for 40 days and nights on the strength of two angelic happy meals
(1 Kings 19:8)
• Out-ran King Ahab’s chariot (1 Kings 18:46)
• Took his famous last ‘Chariot of fire’ ride (2 Kings 2:11)
• Was a frequent flyer – he understood the crash position (1 Kings 18:42)

The one that entertains me the most however is found in 1 Kings 18:7-15. Obadiah was the manager of King Ahab’s palace. He was a devout man who feared God….he was also afraid of his boss.

One day Elijah turned up while Obadiah was out walking and said “Go and tell Ahab Elijah wants to see him.” Obadiah’s response is hilarious…..

“I don't know where the Spirit of the LORD may carry you when I leave you. If I go and tell Ahab and he doesn't find you, he will kill me.” (1 Kings 18:12)

You can add astral travel to Elijah’s ‘mode of transport’ list……beats the bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!